Recipe for baked malted milk donuts topped with malted meringue kisses and dipped in a malted milk glaze using Ovaltine or Horlicks
300g all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
120g brown sugar
2 tbsp malted milk powder (i.e. Ovaltine or Horlicks)
1 cup (8 oz) milk
1/4 cup (65g) unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1 tbsp vanilla extract
180g icing sugar
1 tbsp malted milk powder (i.e. Ovaltine or Horlicks)
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, malted milk powder, and milk together until smooth.
- Add melted butter and vanilla, mix until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients over the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Transfer batter into a piping bag. Snip off the tip of the bag.
- Pipe batter into donut pan until mold is 3/4 full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges of donuts are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Add additional powdered sugar or milk 1 tablespoon at a time to create a thicker or thinner consistency, as desired.
- Dip donuts into glaze about halfway and let any excess drip off.
- Place donuts on cooling rack and top with malted cocoa meringue kisses before the glaze completely sets.
Keywords: malted milk, ovaltine recipe, bake with ovaltine, ovaltine donuts