I wish every week was
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
These double chocolate cupcakes are super easy to make. The only caveat is that I highly recommend using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer to mix the cake batter and frosting, of course. This is a bit of a hassle but I swear it’s necessary. I made these once mixing by hand and the difference was night and day. Mixing with an electric mixer makes the batter super creamy smooth and beats in some air so that they bake into fluffy and moist cakes.
First, quickly whisk together all the dry ingredients (excluding the sugar): flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the room temperature butter until smooth. Then, add in the sugar and beat that together until smooth and fluffy. At this point, you can beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until it’s all combined.
Add in half the flour mixture and all of the milk into the wet ingredients and beat until roughly combined. Add the rest of the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
Grab your lined muffin/cupcake tin and two dinner spoons. I like using two spoons to portion out my cupcake batter because they’re easy to wash and pick up the perfect amount of batter to fill the cupcake tin 3/4 full. Scoop a heaping spoon of batter up with one spoon and use the second spoon to scrape it into the cupcake liner.
Finally, bake your cupcakes for about 18 minutes at 350 degrees F.
You can easily make these triple chocolate cupcakes by adding a couple handfuls of chocolate chips to the cupcake batter. That would be freaking incredible and I’m kind of regretting not doing that right now. Double chocolate cupcakes were sufficient for me though!
HOW TO MAKE MILK CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
This chocolate buttercream frosting has actual melted milk chocolate in it for a super creamy frosting.
In a small bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave by zapping it in 30 second intervals until just melted. You can also melt it in a double broiler by bringing a small pot of water to a boil then remove from the heat. Place a heatproof bowl with the chocolate on top of the pot, making it fits snugly and the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water and no water or steam can get into the bowl. Wait for the chocolate to melt before removing the bowl from the pot.
Set the melted chocolate aside to cool until it’s room temperature but still melted and viscous. In the meantime, work on the frosting.
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Add half the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk and beat until smooth before adding the rest of the sugar.
When the chocolate is ready, add it in and beat it all together until your frosting is smooth and creamy. Add a tablespoon of powdered sugar if the frosting is too wet or add a tablespoon of milk if the frosting is to dry.
MORE CHOCOLATE RECIPES:
- Heart-Shaped Chocolate Meringues
- Earl Grey Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Cherry Tart with Cardamom Cream
- Toasted Pistachio Dark Chocolate Cookies
- Ferrero Rocher Macarons
These decadent double chocolate cupcakes boast a soft chocolate cake base with a milk chocolate buttercream
215g all-purpose flour, sifted
65g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
220g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
65g whole milk
100g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
230g unsalted butter, room temperature
400g powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat on high speed until fluffy and smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, mixing well on medium speed until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in half the dry ingredients, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Add in the other half of the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until the batter is combined.
- Using two spoons, scoop about 1 heaping spoonful into each cupcake liner until about 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 18 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add half the powdered sugar and milk at a time, beating until smooth and creamy between each addition.
- When the chocolate is cooled to room temperature but still smooth and melty, add it to the frosting and beat until completely smooth and creamy. Add more powdered sugar or milk to adjust the thickness of the frosting, if needed.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a closed star tip.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes started from the center and working outwards. Top with sprinkles!
Keywords: chocolate cupcakes, double chocolate cupcakes
PINT IT FOR LATER:
Not what you were looking for? See the rest of my recipes!